sk en de
Košík 0,00 €

Exposition

Minting room in changes of time

The coin striking plant can easily be called the heart of every mint. In the coin striking plant, the highly specialised and technologically very exact process of processing coin alloys culminates in striking the coin.
The proof of the historical importance of a mint for the existence of the state can be shown by the fact that its entire equipment was violently taken or destroyed after each of the two World Wars.
The coin striking plant was created during general restoration of the mint in 1881 – 1889 and it became part of the group of buildings originating from the mid-15th Century. It is a uniquely preserved area with parts of historical equipment. Since 1892, after the introduction of Austrian-Ungrian currency, the plant was equipped with Uhlhorn striking machines, which were delivered by their inventor and producer Diederich Uhlhorn from the German Grewenbreuch. Several machines came from cancelled Sedmohradsko mints in Nagy Bánya and Alba Lulia, part of the present day Romania. After completion of the coin striking plants, 14 No. Uhlhorn and 2 No. Loewe machines worked there. All of the equipment was steam driven via transmissions still in existence today.
expozícia Stará raziareň 1expozícia Stará raziareň 2
After the First World War, the Hungarian government ordered the transfer of all the machines to the capital of the new Hungarian State.
The Ministry of the new Czechoslovak Republic ordered the delivery of basic mint equipment from Vulkan Maschinenfabrik A.G. in Vienna, whose most important parts were twelve striking machines of three types, divided according to achieved pressure: 50, 80 and 120 tons.
Machine No. 4 was the first to be put into operation, on 2 June 1921. The first 20 haler coins of the first Czechoslovak Republic were then struck.
These striking devices were the very first machines in the mint which were driven by electricity.
The Vulkan brand machine struck coins continuously up to 1945. During retreat, the German army took part of the equipment and the stock of coin metals, and destroyed the striking machines with explosives.
Immediately after liberation, the intensive process of reconstruction of the whole mint commenced. By 26 March 1946, on 10 No. Vulkan and 2 No. Schuller machines, they had already started to strike one Crown coins of the renewed Czechoslovakia.
expozícia Stará raziareň 3expozícia Stará raziareň 4
In the mid-1960s, they significantly increased the effectiveness in striking by adding devices for automatic feeding of coin plates. Therefore, one worker could operate three machines at the same time. Then, the Kremnica mint started to strike more and more coins, mainly for the former colonial states in Africa. Production capacity on traditional machines was suddenly unable to cater for the supply. The machine park was gradually modernised. The number of Vulkan machines, with a cadence of 70 strikes per minute, was slightly decreasing. In 1977 – 1979, the number decreased by 6 No. Since 1986, one of these machines has been used for the striking of memorial medals by the former mint of Olomouc Archbishops in Kroměříž in Moravia. The remaining 5 No. machines stayed in their original place.
Vulkan coin striking machines have been accounted at zero value for several decades. However, their simple construction, together with the possibility for individual maintenance, further allows them to be used.
Apart from Vulkans, two other machines from Schuller from Göpingen, Germany, were used for striking coins. These were scrapped in 1974. Within the modernisation of the machinery of the striking plant, the mint bought 4 No. striking machinery from the Belgian company, Raskin, on which the striking finished in 1980 – 1984. Since 1969, the mint used 3 No. Schuller machines. From 1974, the striking machines were supplied by the German company, Gräbener.
expozícia Stará raziareň 5expozícia Stará raziareň 6
In 1984, the new striking plant was completed within the new mint. Striking of coins in the old striking plant gradually declined during the first half of 1986. The final five Vulkans stayed in the old striking plant. Today, mainly Army insignia and badges are still produced on the heaviest two machines, which are of Pmg type.
The respect of our predecessors to this technology is also shown on a commemorative plate on machine No. 4 as remembrance of the revival of striking coins after each of the World Wars. The originals of the plates had to be removed from the machines due to ideological reasons and today they are part of the exhibition of the National Bank of Slovakia – Museum of Coins and Medals.
A remaining set of historical Vulkan striking machines in the area of the original, old striking plant creates a technical, historical site of a multi-national significance. A million coins were struck on these machines in this plant, not only for our own country, but also for tens of states around the world.
In 2006, the Mint prepared an exhibition of minting technology in the area of the old striking plant. Therefore, the machines characterising individual stages of the technological process of the production of coins were added to the free areas of the striking plant. One of the most historically interesting areas of the mint – old striking plant – therefore became part of the sightseeing route for tourists in the Kremnica Mint.
expozícia Stará raziareň 7expozícia Stará raziareň 8
In the end of 2008, Kremnica Mint struck also the new Slovak euro coins. Those were produces already in the new modern minting room that was created by overhaul reconstruction of the old production room located in Mint's original building in historical centre of Kremnica, where Mint is positioned since mid 15th century. The new minting room, considered as one of the most important places on the Mint, was at this occasion opened also for public and the visitors have the opportunity to see new, modern technology and minting machines making the coins.
expozícia Nová raziareň 1expozícia Nová raziareň 2
expozícia Nová raziareň 3expozícia Nová raziareň 4

Virtual tour

expozícia Virtuálna prehliadka

Application form - exposition tour

Organization
Contact person
Address
Phone number
Fax
E-mail
The exposition is opened Monday to Friday. Guided tours start regularly at 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 12:30 pm.
Since September 1 to May 15 each even Saturday - only for (in advance) booked groups of min. 15 persons.
Since May 15 to August 31 - Saturday - guided tours start at 9:00,10:00,11:00.
Since July 1 to August 31 - Saturday and Sunday - guided tours start at 9:00,10:00,11:00.
On Saturdays and Sundays the guided tours are allowed only into the old minting room.
Duration of a guided tour is approximately 45 minutes.
The visit of the new minting room may not be allowed for visitors in the case of maintenance, etc.
Date of guide tour
Time of guide hour
Number of persons in a group
min.5, max. 30 persons per 1 tour. If the number of people in a group exceeds 30, please inform us so that we can adjust the organization of the tour.
Required language
Comment
By filling in this application I express my honest interest in guided tour of exposition.
This application is binding after confirmation of the date by Mint Kremnica.
Entrance fee
The exhibition tour is divided into 2 parts - old minting room and new minting room. The visitors are allowed to choose to see both rooms together, or each individually.


Children
under 6 years
Children, students under 18 years
and retired people
AdultsGroups (min. 15 people)
One minting roomFree1 € per person1.70 € per person1.50 € per person
Both minting roomsFree1.50 € per person2.70 € per person2.50 € per person
Both minting rooms + DVD4.50 € per person5.70 € per person
Both minting rooms + Coin set6.50 € per person7.70 € per person

The entrance fee have to be paid in cash just before beginning of exhibition.
Please, be prepared for tour 10 minutes in advance.

Tieto internetové stránky používajú súbory cookie.© 2011 Mincovňa Kremnica